Today, we’re rolling the beta interface into production. Some of you have been using the interface for a while now and we appreciate the feedback we received. We hope to accomplish a few things with the new map, but primarily we want to make searching for campsites easier.
- The new interface is all about finding campsites where YOU want to camp. It will display the closest listing to the point you clicked on the map. We don’t care if these locations are spread across state or even national borders.
- If you’re not sure just where on the map the area you want to camp in is, you can type city and state names into the search box above the map and we’ll figure it out for you.
- We sort the listings for returned camp sites by distance from the point you choose. This let’s you quickly find the closest sites to you.
- When you can’t find anything you like in our database, try turning on the ‘Unverified Sites’ checkbox. This will show you listings that are not in our main database. These sites are often pay sites and may exceed $10, so be sure to research them before heading out.
- Finally, we want to make it easy for you to find and share the same search results. If you copy the link from your address bar after a search, you can send it to a friend and they will see exactly the same search listings you do.
Don’t Like It?
If you don’t like the new interface or have trouble with it for any reason, don’t worry. There are still links to ‘USA’ and ‘Canada’ on the map search page. Clicking on any of the map options will set that to your default view when returning to the site. Simply choose a new tab and it will continue to be your default view until you choose another.
Please, let us know your thoughts on the new interface. We want to make the site as user friendly and accessible as we can. If there is a feature we can add that will enhance your user experience, let us know. If you find a bug… PLEASE let us know. We can’t fix what we don’t hear about.